It was an excellent visit and time well spent with family. The memorable journey on Amtrak was a hoot as well. Hence...
TEN THINGS ABOUT TRAINS
10. The food on Amtrak is amazing - not just OK.
09. You can ride the train from Clemson to Charlotte for $15.00. Insane.
08. It takes six hours to get from Tuscaloosa to Atlanta by train. Also insane.
07. Bring something to read, but don't get too buried in the book. Observe.
06. Porters aren't amused when you break into "Chattanooga Choo Choo".
05. Peeing in train bathrooms is an adventure unto itself.
04. Bring a few beverages in a small cooler or drink $6 beers. Your choice.
03. Enjoy the train stations - very retro experience. Trippy employees, too.
02. The average speed on Amtrak is 48 MPH.
01. I read (in a train station) that the damn things can actually do 150 MPH.
So the next time you're planning an A to B outing, I highly suggest looking into rail travel. Everybody should give it a whirl at least once. ..unless you're in a big hurry to get somewhere or have bladder control issues.