...slices of life in the Garden of Good & Evil

Monday, July 30, 2007

For Me??


Well, I really don't have a rancid clue how to describe the feeling one gets from being ambushed with a truly "surprise" party - but here goes....

Last Saturday, I arrived home early morning from an overnight gig in Jackson (I played a little wedding reception and stayed over with Will & Meredith in Madison). Marquita told me we were meeting our friends Perry & Michelle for dinner later that night. I nodded my approval and went about wasting the rest of the day. Certain things should have let me know something was afoot.

Clue #1 - around 4:00pm
Me: "What time are we meeting the Rackleys for dinner?"
Wife: " We're picking them up at 5:45."

5:45...hmmmm

That's when the senior citizens hit the Cracker Barrel for some sort of all-you-can-eat catfish or waffle fest, right? Oh well, maybe there's more to the story...

Clue #2 - as we're leaving the house

Me: "And why is it we're going so early?"
Wife: "We're going over to their house afterwards to play cards."

Cards...what kind of cards? Go Fish? Canasta? Uno? I don't play cards. Neither does my wife. Perry plays a little poker now and then. Maybe he thinks he can take me and the wife in a "friendly" game. That scoundrel...

Me: "I really don't want to play cards. Can I just watch?"
Wife: "Whatever...let's just go."

Dinner was at The Veranda. We were joined by two other couples - Tommy & Kathy Prentice and Bob & Diane Daniels. The conversation was enjoyable, the food was tasty (as usual), and the evening was marching on. It took us 2.5 hours to get out of there - despite a 6:00pm start in a very uncrowded dining room. I think our waiter was working another job in another restaurant simultaneously.

Clue #3 - leaving the restaurant

My wife was getting antsier by the minute as we waited for our checks. She bolted for the parking lot well ahead of me and the Rackleys.

Me: "What's the big hurry?"
Wife: "I'm just ready to leave."
Me: "To do what - play cards?"
Wife: (stinkeye)

Guess I'll just shut up and go with the flow. Maybe Perry has some good cigars around the house. My new affectation...smoking Perry's good cigars.

We pull into the Rackley's driveway and are greeted by about 100 people lined up in front of their house... Meredith & Will, Cam, my minister and his wife, several musician buddies, The Kollard Kings en regalia (MSU football tailgating pals), friends from the Delta and Jackson (crazy long drive for them) - each and every one a good friend.

But for some reason, I still didn't think about a surprise birthday party when we rounded the corner and saw this mob. All I could figure was that lots of people liked to play cards...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Meredith sent me an invite, and a request for a 'letter'. I paled at the thought of spending several hours waiting to surprise you, then being lost in the mob as multiple dozens of people all crowded about doing their "Hail fellow and well met" routine. After well-wish #42, all the faces blend into one vague blur. I could actually not show up, later claim I did, and it would all work out the same. "Sure, Jimmy-me-boy, twas I who issued well wish #57, but by then, twas all a big blur, doncha know, me-lad. I'm surprised you recall a thing."

The letter... Ah, the letter. I composed the letter several times in my head, but each time the out come was something akin to "Sheesh, if Marquita reads this, Jim's a dead man." I almost got one composed that would work, then realized some of the references could result in jail time for you or me. I don't mind you being in the lockup, but the idea of me being in stir just makes me shiver.

*sigh*

I did think of you while the whoop-fest was in progress, as I sat on my back porch, sipping a nice, quiet pino, and thinking of you amidst dozens of sweating friends and spouses, all wishing you'd had the good sense to be born in a cooler month. I drank a quiet toast to your continued health, and was glad at least one of your friends had the good sense to stay away from unruly crowds.

On the good side, Meredith did a yeoman's job in putting all that together, and insisted all this be done on the q-t. She missed a great career as an intelligence operative.